Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tag Your It

With my in-law's coming for Thanksgiving this year, Cliff and I scrubbed the kitchen within an inch of it's life. How's that for a date night? 

One of the many things we discovered was that our canisters were mostly empty. Others contained long forgotten baking soda and tea bags. 

During the big weavle invasion of '04 we had emptied out the traditional flour and sugar and somehow never used them again. I think for a long time I was just scared by the whole bugs in my flour experience! Still, space is money canisters! Either you function or it's off to the goodwill with you! 

We found (weavle resistant) stuff to put in the canisters and in order to remember what each one holds I made some temporary tags. Since my in-laws were cooking Thanksgiving dinner I wanted to make the little-kitchen-that-could as user friendly as possible.

Somewhere I have seen cute little chalkboard ornaments used to label canisters. I may still pick those up if I see them. In the meantime these freebies are on the job.

Oh, and by the way those vintage red canisters earn their keep holding my cookie cutters.

2 comments:

Jodi Ohl said...

Love the red and white vignette you have there with your "found" canisters! Looks so festive. I had to laugh with your description of cleaning the kitchen--scrubbing it to within an inch of your lives...LOL :)
I totally understand!! Something about guests coming over that puts us in to mean green cleaning machines!

Rebecca said...

What a cute idea! I love the tags. I gave up on canisters long ago. If I come across a set I can't live without I may change my mind but I ften filled them with things and then forgot LOL