Sunday, March 16, 2008

Old Faithful

I had been feeling a bit unmotivated craft wise in the past weeks.

I may have burnt myself out a bit in the month of February with so many new projects. Or, maybe it's the same creative energy that I am spending instead, with the Slice of Life Writing Challenge in the Crayon Box?

In any case, when I was called to donate a raffle prize for a church event, I fell right back on my old standby, tote bags.
House coat to beach bag
They only take me a couple of hours to make and the materials are already in my stash.
Flowered House Coat

I suppose at one point, a housecoat was sort of an "old faithful" outfit. Well, creating bags out of housecoats, dresses, and sheets has become my "old faithful" project for last minute gifts.

I like to make bags because they fit women regardless of their clothing size or home decorating style. It seems like an easy gift to give and receive.

Still, I would like to branch out a bit. I had thought of making some baby bibs to donate. There were ten babies born last year at church so it seems there would be a market for them.

What are some things you make for last minute gifts or donations to raffles and the like?

3 comments:

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

It's true, bags of all shapes and sizes ALWAYS fit! I think homemade candy and baked goods tend to be my standby gifts. Hopefully soon my standby will transform into to something more personal and creative as yours is!

Rebecca said...

Your bags are always adorable! And I love that they are recylced house dresses!My go to gifts are knit scarves (if I have time) or lavendar sachets and eye masks. Easy and useful and like you said, one size fits all!

Jodi Ohl said...

If I could sew like you, I'd definitely go for the bags as a last minute gift. I think your baby bib idea would be good, too. Especially if there has been a surge of new babies lately in your church.
I'm like Mandi, my standby gifts or donations are food related as it's only been the last year or so that the creativity bug has really hit me!