Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Challenging Myself


I got this pattern for a BB Bag a few years ago in a swap. I held on to it, but was intimidated by it for quite some time. It has two zippers and lots of bias tape. Plus it is small and curvy. It's wasn't the directions or the pattern, I swear! I was intimidated before I even opened the pattern. I am sure others wouldn't have the same hang ups.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the balance between pushing myself with sewing skills and remembering that it's just my hobby. Sewing is my stress reliever. Getting immersed in a new pattern/ project can take me so far away from my ghetto classroom that an hour can pass with nary a concern. Something too frustrating defeats the purpose.

Arg! My head just went to teaching. This is what I deal with in the classroom every day! Where is the edge of learning? How do you walk that line without going overboard? Akk!

Another reason I sew is to support our thrifty budget. Yes, I do spend money on fabric and notions, but by making my own (I hope meaningful) gifts, I save myself the mall experience. Sewing makes me feel abundant, the mall, not so much.
Traveler Bag

Anyway, Mother's Day was just the incentive I needed to try this pattern. It's good for walks and trips to the beach. Just room for keys, a debit card and some cash.

I took it slow and worked a bit at a time. I did break three needles on that metal zipper! And, I learned that cheap metal zippers ($0.10) from downtown are not worth it! Pay for nylon! Other than that, it wasn't too tricky at all.

I like it. It was a bit wonky and needed a button to hold it closed.
Traveler Bag
The handstitching is something only a mother could love. I won't go there. My feelings about hand sewing are "a whole 'nother Oprah."

2 comments:

Mama Said Sew said...

Good for you for pushing yourself! The bag is very cute. And I'm not a fan of handsewing either. Maybe I should practice a little more. :)

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Hand sewing freaks me out a little. I feel like i won't be sturdy enough, and my bag (or whatever) will fall apart. Congrats on finishing your bag!