Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Advice : Learn to Make Your Own Pizza

I recently discovered 500 Pieces of Prudent Advice for My Daughter from reading my site meter and read through it all in one sitting. I love the advice and the matching art. I really believe there is a book deal in this one. It's that good. Plus, I was really tickled (as my grandmother would have said) to see that she reads my blog!

Jaime's list is pretty comprehensive (as of 118) but I thought of one to add:
Learn to make pizza.


I come from Northern New Jersey. (Yes, near those housewives, but please don't judge.) I thrived for many years on pizza from Nellies and Kinchleys. While down the shore I ate pizza at Panzones and Slice of Heaven. The pizza part of life was exceptional, but I didn't fully appreciate it at the time.

There is a sad truth that I have learned the hard way: good pizza is not universal. You may find yourself in a pizza poor land. Best to be prepared.

LA is known for it's beautiful weather, beaches and people. Pizza not so much. So, 9 times out of 10 I make my own. Many times it's quicker than delivery.

Currently we are enjoying my Trader Joes version of this Paula Dean recipe that I found reading the very funny Big Mama.

Paula Deens Pizza Gone Trader Joes

Blackened Shrimp Pizza (Inspired by Paula Deen Made So Simple By Trader Joe)

1 good shake of some Cajun seasoning
1 bunch of frozen shrimp thawed
4 tbs. butter, divided
4 Trader Joe's frozen garlic cubes
2 tbs. all purpose flour
1/4 cup white wine, cooking sherry, or a splash of white wine vinegar depending on what I have
3/4 cup milk
3 cubes Trader Joe's Frozen Basil Cubes
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup or less grated Parmesan cheese.
1 tomatoe seeded and diced if you like
Trader Joe's Herb pizza dough


First prepare crust as directed. It needs to breath a bit so plan ahead. I also pre-bake the crust for about 6-8 minutes to make it crispier.

Sauce:
1. Melt the butter, garlic and basil over a medium heat.
2. Add a sprinkle or two of Cajun spice to taste.
3. Cook the shrimp in the butter, garlic and basil and then set the shrimp aside.
4. Add the flour and stir.
5. Add the milk and wine stir until sauce thickens
6. Add parm to taste. I like more than Cliff and vary from a generous sprinkle to a 1/2 cup.

Now, layer sauce, spinach, cheese, bacon, tomatoe and shrimp and bake as directed for the crust. It's about 15 minutes at 450.

YUM!

3 comments:

ChesterAndDonkey said...

I make my own pizzas, too but I use store bought crust. I guess I need to try this next time! Looks really yummy!

Nutsy Coco said...

That's great advice! I was just telling my husband the other day that I need to learn to make better pizza. I might have to start with this recipe!

Sue said...

Wow, does that look good! Your comment on my vintage picnic items cracked me up, hehe! Thanks for stopping by!!
Blessings~LillySue