Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Painted My Crock Pot!

I see a Crock-Pot and I want it painted black.



No late 80's pastels I want them to turn black.
Corn Chowder in the Crock Pot

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted painted black! Yeah!

Yup! I took the plunge and painted it with chalkboard paint. Inspired by two comments from this post:

Anonymous from Seattle, WA said...

"I wonder if you could try paining it with black chalk board paint - You could then write on the pot what is cooking inside it! "

And Holly Lynne said...
"You're a master with the spray paint so if anyone could do it you could. My first thought, however, would be to sew a cozy for it instead."

I figured if the chalkboard paint didn't work, I could always make a cozy and cover it up. Sort of a back up plan.

Meanwhile, back at the craft show I met my new favorite craft tool.
Craft-N-Spin
Craft -N-Spin
Those paint pyramids caught my eyes, but when I saw the whole picture, a crafting lazy Susan- it was love at first sight.

Seriously, is there anyone out there that needs this more than me? My balcony is a scant few feet wide and I have already shared the contortions I endure to work in such a small space.
Clifford on the Craft-n-Spin
This baby was made for me.

I told Michael Bucci (the president of K&M) about my balcony workshop and he gave me my very own Craft-n-Spin!

Hot Dog!

Of course I couldn't wait to get out there on the balcony to christen my newest toy.  The Craft-N-Spin is terrific!
Crock Pot

I taped up the handles,rim, cord and dial of the Crock-Pot. I used a paper plate to cover both top and bottom. I decided to spray paint it upside down. That way the rim and the inside were better protected. I placed an old plastic tray on the Craft-n-Spin. This way the pyramids wouldn't poke through the paper plate.
Crock Pot Primed
I sprayed the whole thing sitting at a distance. The Craft -n-Spin gently rotating the pot. Nice and even. No awkward bending. No hair getting in the project. No upside down painting. So easy!
I am so excited to have this! And, while it's called the Craft -n-Spin for this application, the next time you see me painting a dresser or play kitchen- I will refer to it as the wood workers "finishing turntable." So much more pro. Don't you think? 
Chalkboard Paint Going On
The next day I used a foam roller and painted the pot right side up with the roll on chalkboard paint.
That can of chalkboard paint has lasted me through half a dozen projects now-including my big fridge. I know the spray paint is easier, but the can sure is a good value!

Anyway, three days later I was able to "prime" it with chalk and get to writing!
Chalkboard Crock Pot
Is there anything that can't be improved with some chalkboard paint?
I'm looking at you George!
Hmmm....George, I'm looking at you!

Back to the Craft-n-Spin- here is a video...





Thank you so much Michael Bucci for the Craft-N-Spin!

Linking up to: Trash to Treasure Tuesday & DIY Day!
Nester's Chalkboard Party!


DIY Day @ ASPTL




35 comments:

Kim said...

I want a craft and spin, now! I love the idea of putting chalkboard paint on the crockpot!! Genius!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Who would have thought!!!! I Love it! What a genius idea! I several crocpots that are extremely dated. I always want to hide them come party time! This is a great idea - Thanks for sharing!!

Renee said...

OMG! I am so doing this. I have an avacado green crock pot that I got at the thrift store.
Thanks for the inpiration.

300 North Jackson said...

Just freakin' amazing! I love it!

you have the cutest projects :)

Michele said...

Holy chalkboard paint, that is way too cute!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the chalkboard paint worked ... cause now I'm gona paint my ugly old crock pot!

Kelli said...

This is so cool! You've inspired me to do something with my collection of crock pots! We do so many meals in slow cookers because of our schedule I buy any I can find at thrift stores and some are just FUGLY, what a perfect solution! love Love LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of painting the crockpot with chalkboard paint. No guessing what's inside at a party.

The Oxford Family said...

Love this idea! I have a lovely new pot but I almost picked up a less than pretty one at goodwill for 3$ yesterday! Should have bought it!

Unknown said...

So smart! So unexpected!! I bet you are going to love to take that to a super club or pot luck dinner! I know I would! I love that craft and spin gizmo! So cool!!
Have a great day!

Nutsy Coco said...

It looks great! A definite improvement and the craft spinner is very cool!

Katie said...

Chalkboard paint? Great idea!!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Is there anything we won't paint with this stuff?

What a great idea! Love the contents on the side information... cute idea... and fun for the kids too.

I'm thinking if you have a dishwasher( i don't) you could paint it and post whether or not the dishes inside are CLEAN OR DIRTY!

AND WHOSE TURN IT IS TO LOAD OR EMPTY...

But then whose job is it to do all that posting?

well, it was a thought.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I definitely need a craft and spin. I have paint in my hair right now. I love that you painted it with chalkboard paint. My crock pot is looking a little tired these days. I may just try this!

I'm hosting a link party and would love to have you come over and link this up!

http://mybackyardeden.blogspot.com/2010/02/make-it-yours-day.html

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

What a cute idea!

littlemissmk said...

oh man, if anyone can paint their crock pot- you can.... its great!

Unknown said...

Jane, that is brilliant! I never would have thought of it but I love it. Come to think of it, I have an ugly 1980s hand-me-down crock pot in the basement and a can of chalkboard spray paint (although I think mine is green?). Hmmm...


That spinner thing is neat! So handy.

Macey said...

Okay, you TOTALLY sprayed that crock pot! It looks awesome!

Kelly said...

Very cool product and love your project! Looks like the coolest crockpot I've ever seen!

sara said...

LOVE it!!!!! You are so smart!

Infarrantly Creative said...

OMG I just LOL'ed...LOVES it...brilliant!!!

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea! I'm definitely adding this to my list of projects to tackle. Thanks so much for sharing!
Arielle

Tracy said...

AWESOME idea! Love it! That last picture of the crockpot making eyes at the George Foreman had me laughing out loud. Your spinny thing is definitely swoon-worthy! Thanks for sharing!

B. said...

Such a good idea! I would have never thought it would work!

Amber said...

Such a clever trick to make your crockpot "blend" in in a fun way!

Rebecca said...

What a clever idea! You are so good at the trash to treasure, I love it!

Mandy said...

LOVE it! What a cute idea :)

Mary Ann said...

Love this! I just purchased a crockpot at the thrift store and it is very dated-looking and a little beat up. I was wondering if I could paint it. Guess so! I might try this. Maybe people would stop asking what the food is if I wrote it on the outside. Maybe.:-)

Unknown said...

Well, I'll just be danged. I had that same crockpot. Heaven knows where it's at now, but I have some blue '80's canisters that are calling, paint me, paint me!
And the turning thingy - gotta get me one a those!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Love how this turned out! But your song lyrics really made it come alive for me :)

Val said...

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing! I wonder how the paint will stand up to cleaning?

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tru said...

Now that you've had it done for a while, how does the painting hold up to the heat. I know they don't get real warm on the outside, but there is some heat.

Jane said...

The paint has held up just fine. I don't use it often, but I have had it on for a full day keeping food warm at a party etc...

Unknown said...

What kind of spray paint did you use, before you applied the chalkboard paint? epoxy? High heat? Latex?