Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Time To Brag

Dreams All Together

In a world full of standardized testing and Scan-tron forms nothing makes my day like a creative writing project.

This one has an art element to boot. Icing on the cake-I tell you!
Langston Hughes Silhouette & Origonal Poem
I had my students create their own version of  the Langston Hughes poem "Dream Variation." Then inspired by this Artist Woman project we created silhouette paintings to go with the poems. (Our silhouettes came from google image searches to save time.) The end result reminds me of the ipod billboards of a few years ago. This project really sparked the Crayon's imaginations.

"A Dream Variation"

"Dream Variation"

"A Dream Variation"
And, just in case your interested in writing your own "Dream Variation", this is the form we used:
Model for Writing Dream Variation Poem
Click on any picture to see it enlarged. There are also more student samples on flickr.

Now back to my regularly scheduled test prepping. Testing is just a week away!

6 comments:

Coleen said...

Sooooooooooooooo awesome! Love this!

mimi said...

When I first looked at the display of the assignment, I thought you had them design postage stamps! I guess it was because of the border. But what a neat idea even if they were postage stamps! Wouldn't our world be a smarter world if students' work was featured on postage stamps? You are sooooo creative and so are your crayons.
Keep it going! Your crayons have lots of followers.
mimi

Kellye said...

Picture me standing and applauding you and your crayons. What a great job you all did. You inspire me.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those are really neat. I might have to try that with my kiddos.

littlemissmk said...

wow these look fantastic! its great that these children will walk away with so many great art projects from this year spent with you. you truly are nurturing their creative spirits.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Know the pain - right in the middle of testing this week and next. I love this idea and - frankly - I'm pretty sure I'm going to borrow it for our upcoming Open House! This rocks!