Monday, November 22, 2010

DIY Hummingbird Feeder

This isn't a typical almost Christmas project, but it does involve the Christmas variety of the Zip Lock storage containers.
The "Hummingbird Tree" Outside My 3rd Floor Apartment
One of the many things that delights me about our new apartment is the "birds eye view" of this tree which is brimming with hummingbirds. On Sunday I think I counted 5 or 6 zooming about around one single remaining red blossom. Not wanting the birds to disappear I looked up "DIY Humming Bird Feeders" and found this video which uses a red solo cup.  I didn't have red solo cups but, I did have a leftover red Christmas Zip Lock storage container. I also used some wire from the dollar store.

Supplies for the Homemade Hummingbird Feeder 
The pictures are pretty much tutorial enough.

Homemade Hummingbird Feeder

DIY Hummingbird Feeder: Holes & Sugar Water Up Close

The formula is 1 part sugar dissolved in 3 parts warm water. That's it. No food coloring. Apparently the feeder will need freshening up about once a week or so. So far, I haven't had any visitors. It's been terribly windy and cold. I was over to my neighbor's apartment (I actually have a long time friend within walking distance! Yay!) and we saw several hummingbirds swarming in her bottle brush bush.

I'll be sure to add pictures once I catch one feeding!

4 comments:

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
littlemissmk said...

hummingbirds are beautiful! great idea!

Kaco said...

May I correct you on the food ratio? It should be 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water. Love the idea. I'm needing a quick replacement for my deteriorating feeder in hopes of keeping my dozen or more critters around.

Kaco said...

I would like to correct the ratio, it should be 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water. Too much sugar dehydrates the little guys. Glad I found your quick fix being in need of a replacement for my deteriorating feeder! Thnx!